On January 5, 2021 at approximately 7:38 am, Geary County Fire Department was dispatched to the residence located at 2519 N. Dietrich Road in western Geary county for a structure fire. A shed located to the residence was fully engulfed and was spreading to the residence.
Geary County Fire responded with 3 pumper units and a tanker unit and 16 firefighters Mutual Aid from Dickinson County Fire District 1 was requested and they responded with 4 fire units. A Junction City Fire/EMS med unit was on scene for standby. There was no injuries.
Geary County first arriving units were able to get a good stop on the fire in the residence, containing it to one room. The fires were extinguished and the fire was under control at 8:32 hrs.
The residence was owned and occupied by the Joshua Muckey family. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.
It appeared that the fire was caused by heat lamps in the shed igniting straw that was there for chickens being raised. The chickens perished in the fire.
Damage is estimated at $100,000.00.
Authorities confirm that here were no injuries in a fire reported at 7:38 a.m. Tuesday in western Geary County at 2519 North Dietrich Road. More information will be released by the Geary County Rural Fire Department later Tuesday.
The location of the fire was about five miles west of Junction City. Dickinson County provided mutual aid in the fire response along with Geary County.