Feb 11, 2020 11:16 PM

Crews busy fighting cooking fires in Manhattan

Posted Feb 11, 2020 11:16 PM
Photo Manhattan fire department
Photo Manhattan fire department

Manhattan — Fire crews were busy Tuesday with two cooking fires in Manhattan.

Just after 2:30p.m. the Manhattan Fire Department was dispatched to 415 Walters Drive Apartment 1108 for a report of a structure fire. Upon arrival, crews found a two-story apartment building with light smoke showing. The fire was contained quickly within 10 minutes by the first arriving units, according to Deputy Chief Ryan Almes.

The building is a two-story eight-unit apartment building  Loss is estimated at $3000 to the structure and $1000 for the contents. The owner is listed as Manhattan Housing Investors LLC, with the resident agent being listed as Alan Joseph of Wichita, Kansas.  The fire cause was determined to be accidental from unattended cooking.

Crews responded to another cooking fire earlier in the day at 727 Crestwood Drive, Apartment 3.  That fire was extinguished by fire crews with a fire extinguisher.  The loss at that fire was estimated at $1000.

"Cooking fires remain the leading cause of fires nationally, and in Manhattan" according to Assistant Chief Ryan Courtright.  "We want citizens to know that if you leave the room while cooking, a fire like this can happen so fast and no one is immune from this happening to them."

Continue Reading JC Post
Feb 11, 2020 11:16 PM
Recent obituaries

Click HERE to view the most recent obituaries and service times from our funeral home partners.

JC Post is honored to publish full obituaries and photos at no cost to families.