The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program is a volunteer service that provides low to moderate income families with free tax preparation. Individuals and households with a gross income less than $57,000 are eligible for the free service. The IRS volunteer tax assistors will prepare Federal Income Tax returns and Kansas State returns. Returns are prepared by appointment only.
Those that are eligible for the service can make an appointment to have their tax returns prepared on Monday thru Thursday evenings between 4:30p.m.-7:30 p.m. from February 1st until April 15th. Spots will fill up quickly. To schedule an appointment you must call the United Way office at
(785) 238-2117. Regular office hours are Mon. – Fri. 8am-3pm.
Once you have made an appointment, things you will need to bring with you are:
· Proof of identification
· All wage and earning statement forms (W-2, 1099)
· Social Security Cards for spouse and dependents, those filing jointly both spouses must be present
· Bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit (blank check)
· A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
· Any other pertinent documents or papers
Due to the ongoing pandemic, tax customers CANNOT bring their children with them to their appointment.
Appointments will be held at the United Way, 139 E 8th Street. Participants should arrive ten to fifteen minutes prior to their scheduled time