GEARY COUNTY, Kan. - According to a release from Geary County Emergency Management, yesterday at approximately 7:38 a.m. the Geary County Fire Department was dispatched to a residence located at 2519 N. Dietrich Road in western Geary County for a structure fire.
A shed located on the residence was fully engulfed and was spreading to the house.
Geary County Fire responded with three pumper units and a tanker unit, as well as 16 firefighters. Mutual Aid from Dickinson County Fire District 1 was requested and they responded with four additional fire units. A Junction City Fire/EMS med unit was on scene for standby; however, there were no injuries.
Geary County’s first arriving units were able to get a stop on the fire in the residence, containing it to one room. The fires were extinguished and the fire was under control by 8:32 a.m..
It appeared that the fire was caused by heat lamps in the shed igniting straw that was there for chickens being raised. The chickens perished in the fire.
The residence was owned and occupied by the Joshua Muckey family. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.
The total damage is estimated at $100,000.00.