American Legion Boys State of Kansas
High school students from across the State of Kansas will be participating in the 2022 session of the American Legion Boys State of Kansas, Sunday, June 5, through Saturday, June 11, at Kansas State University in Manhattan. The event, in its 84th year, returns to its traditional early June dates after last year’s session was postponed to early August due to the coronavirus pandemic.
This year’s Kansas Boys State program includes delegates who just completed their junior year of high school (will be seniors in the fall) and sophomore year of high school (will be juniors in the fall).
The objective of the ALBSK is to inculcate a sense of individual obligation to community, state and nation. Kansas Boys State provides a relevant, interactive, problem-solving experience in leadership and teamwork that develops self-identity, promotes mutual respect and instills civic responsibility. Boys State is a “learning by doing” political exercise that simulates elections, political parties and government at the state, county and local levels, providing opportunities to lead under pressure, showcasing character and working effectively within a team. It’s also an opportunity to gain pride and respect for government and the price paid by members of the military to preserve democracy.
Among the major events during the week (the below events are open to the public unless noted; members of the media are invited to attend all events):
Sunday, June 5
• Delegate check-in, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Goodnow Hall (via Wefald Hall). This event is open only to delegates and their families.
• Opening ceremonies, 2:30 to 4 p.m., McCain Auditorium.
Monday, June 6
• Swearing in of Kansas Boys State mayors, 7 p.m., Kansas Boys State Assembly Area (Goodnow Hall/Marlatt Hall parking lot [between buildings on Claflin Road]).
• Party caucuses, 7:30 to 10 p.m., Federalist Party, Fiedler Hall, Room 1107; Nationalist Party, Rathbone Hall, Room 1073 (each party will select their candidates for the six state offices and formulate their party platforms.) This event is not open to the public.
Tuesday, June 7
• Kansas Boys State governor candidates’ debate, 1 to 2 p.m., Fiedler Hall, Room 1109
• Announcement of Kansas Boys State general election winners for state offices and swearing in ceremony, 7 p.m., KBS Assembly Area.
Wednesday, June 8
• Flag retirement ceremony, 7:30 p.m., World War II Memorial in front of McCain Auditorium
Evening ceremonies, 8 p.m., McCain Auditorium.
• 2022 Kansas Boys State governor’s inaugural address.
• Address by Jeremy Ehart, Hutchinson, incoming American Legion Department of Kansas commander, and introduction of Kansas American Legion dignitaries (Note: Ehart will be installed as commander during the American Legion Department of Kansas’ 103rd annual convention in Topeka on June 5).
• Watch and read Ehart’s cover story from the February 2017 issue of The American Legion magazine.
• Kansas Boys State band, chorus and talent show.
Friday, June 10
• Announcement of delegates who will represent Kansas Boys State at Boys Nation in July, 8:30 a.m., KBS Assembly Area.
Saturday, June 11
Closing ceremonies, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., McCain Auditorium
• Announcement of Kansas Boys State outstanding citizens.
• Announcement of Kansas Boys State Samsung American Legion Scholarship winner.
• Announcement of various awards, including Advisor of the Year, Counselor of the Year, New Counselor of the Year, William “Bill” F. Stahl Outstanding Justice Award, Outstanding Senator Award and Outstanding State Representative Award.
• Final State Assembly, 10:45 to 11:15 a.m., KBS Assembly Area
In addition to the above events, the public is invited to view the daily morning assembly/flag raising at 8:30 a.m. (8:45 a.m. on Saturday) and evening retreat/flag lowering at 7 p.m. (6:50 p.m. on Monday).
For those who cannot attend these events, Boys State of Kansas will provide updates during the week on its Facebook page, facebook.com/KansasBoysState.