Oct 21, 2020 3:00 PM

Students conduct peaceful protest outside Junction City High School

Posted Oct 21, 2020 3:00 PM

JC Post

A peaceful protest in the parking lot outside Junction City High School ended about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. 

JCHS Principal Melissa Sharp noted that communication is important.

"We had a student that in regard to a dress code had a conversation with her academy principal," she said. "And from that conversation some miscommunication extended out to social media in regard to the ability of the student to express her religious freedom."

Sharp said she wanted the community to understand that there is never a time when a student is unable to express their religious freedom in the high school.

"We take great pride in being a diverse and a tolerant and accepting institution and we will continue to do so," she said.

Sharp said she felt good about the conversations with some of the student group's senior leadership.

"We were able to go out and speak to the students about 10:15, and it was very peaceful and responsive, and I'm appreciative," she said.

The JCHS principal noted that she was appreciative.

"I believe in free speech, I believe in a person's right to protest but also I believe that students do not have the right to disrupt the learning of other students."

Sharp added part of the conversation was come to conflict resolution and a way forward, and also return to school.

"Our quarter ends next week and that should  be the focus of our students as they enter and exit campus each day," she said.

All of the students returned to class.


A large group of about 100 students conducted a peaceful protest outside Junction City High School Wednesday morning. It dealt with freedom of religious expression.

According to an email provided to parents / guardians by JCHS Principal Melissa Sharp, the students did not make it to their first hour class. She asked parents / guardians to check to determine if their students made it to school.

Sharp noted that the students were safe, in the rain which fell Wednesday morning, and not where they should be. JCHS did not authorize the protest. Sharp she was reaching out to the parents / guardians for support of the efforts by the school.

Students marched early in the protest and by mid morning it had been moved to a location near Al Simpler Stadium. Again...the school officials confirmed it was a peaceful protest.